Jeff Koons: Lost in America
- Location: Al Riwaq Gallery, MIA
- Date: 21 November 2021 - 31 March 2022
- Time: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Ticket Purchase: Online
- Price: Adult - 75QR
- Website: https://qm.org.qa/en/
Curated by Massimiliano Gioni, the exhibition provides a unique view into the exceptional career of one of the world’s best-known contemporary artists, whose work bridges Pop, Minimalism and the readymade. This is Koons’ first exhibition in the Gulf region.
Lost in America presents a portrait of American culture as seen through Koons’ autobiography, beginning with his childhood in suburban Pennsylvania. The exhibition features more than sixty artworks drawn from Koons’ four-decades-long career and is divided into 16 galleries, each introduced by the artist, emphasising his memories, influences and fascination with American visual culture. Conceived as an expansive self-portrait, Lost in America also includes sculptures and paintings with mesmerising, mirrored surfaces that reflect the viewers and call attention to notions of self-transformation and becoming.
Some of the artist’s best-known work will be represented from series such as The New (1980–87), Banality (1988), Celebration (1994–), Popeye (2002–13) and Antiquity (2008–), alongside more recent works that will be shown for the first time during this special exhibition. In Koons’ paintings and sculptures, including some of the artist’s most iconic pieces such as Rabbit (1986), Balloon Dog (Orange) (1994–2000) and Play-Doh (1994–2014), everyday objects and industrial materials are transformed into engaging artworks that pose questions about desire and hope, the self and transcendence, individuality and the masses.
Throughout his career, Jeff Koons has radically transformed the world of art, forging new relationships between the avant-garde and mass culture, while developing new paradigms for the role of the artist in the age of hyper-communication. He shares a preoccupation with American popular culture with many of his predecessors, who include artists such as Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol, and with peers such as Robert Gober, Barbara Kruger, Richard Prince, Charles Ray and Cindy Sherman.
Jeff Koons: Lost in America is sponsored by Ooredoo, Qatar Airways and Katara Hospitality.
The exhibition is presented as part of the Qatar-United States 2021 Year of Culture, ExxonMobil Platinum Sponsor.
- Saturday to Thursday: 9 am – 7 pm
- Friday: 1:30 pm – 7p
You Might Like It
- Medina Centrale (At the entrance of Souq Al Medina) Alhambra St، Doha Qatar
- 17 November 2021 - 20 November 2021
- 03:30 pm - 12:00 am
- Western Square, Souq Waqif Doha Qatar
- 14 October 2021 - 23 October 2021
- 03:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Building 19, Katara Cultural Village Doha Qatar
- 20 September 2021 - 9 October 2021
- 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- This event is virtual. Qatar
- 23 May 2021 - 31 December 2021
- 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Doha Exhibition & Convention Center (DECC), Doha, Qatar Doha Qatar
- 16 November 2021 - 18 November 2021
- 10:00 am - 08:00 pm